The following is a guideline to your bariatric surgery costs and procedures
What are the costs of bariatric surgery?
Private Health Insurance
- most of the hospital expenses (theatre costs/bed per night)
- surgeon’s fee: there will be an out of pocket cost as per quote from Dr Jon Armstrong
- anaesthetic fees: there will be some out of pocket fees to be confirmed by anaesthetist.
- dietitian appointments: if you have an ‘Extras cover' with the Health Fund.
No private Health Insurance (uninsured)
A majority of our patients are having the procedure without health insurance as the costs of Insurance have gone up so dramatically over the years. This may not be an option for everyone as total costs cannot be guaranteed prior to the treatment journey.
Before starting your treatment journey, we recommend to inspect and plan for the financial side of the process to avoid unnecessary stress or disappointment.
If you have weight loss surgery without insurance, you will need to pay for:
- Surgeons Fee – Medicare will cover some of this expense.
- Hospital expenses – Theatre costs/bed costs/all equipment costs and extras such as pathology/radiology/pharmacy expenses.
- Anaesthetic fees - Medicare will cover some of this expense.
- Dietitian appointments – no rebates.
Early access to superannuation for compassionate medical reasons
|Procedure||Medicare Item no||Fee||Rebate - approx|
|INITIAL Weight Loss Consultation||104||$160||$76|
|Initial General Consultation||104||$160||$76|
|Dietitian Appointment||Initial Visit|
|Non Attendance less than 24hrs notice||Dietitian Fee - DNA||Initial $180|
Follow Up $90
|Sleeve Gastrectomy Insured||31575||$5000||$1200 (Fund+Medicare)|
|Sleeve Gastrectomy Uninsured||31575||$22,000 approx|
|Early Release Superannuation||Insured approx $7000 access||Uninsured Approx $22,000 access||Covers total surgical fee- rebates can be claimed from these amounts|
Call us to make appointment 9386 2634
Mr Jon Armstrong is registered with SuperCare. SuperCare can facilitate your application for funding obesity/bariatric surgery procedures including gastric sleeve surgery and gastric bypass surgery. The total uninsured amount or out of pocket fees can be accessed via early release of superannuation for medical purposes. Enquire on 9386 2634.
Mr Jon Armstrong provides an effective and convenient service to patients by offering SKYPE and TeleHealth as an initial appointment.
Skype appointments are available for patients who live or work in Regional areas and are looking to discuss the suitability of weight loss surgery, without the need to fly into Perth.
Patient Assisted Travel Scheme (PATS) may also be possible dependant on your circumstances.
Regular follow ups have proven to increase the success of weight loss surgery, and having access to SKYPE appointments will assist you in achieving/maintaining weight loss goals.